The Geek Posse got together and established a list of probable reasons why humans read blogs.
Why People Read Blogs (55 Reasons Humans Stare at a Screen)
1. Some are attracted to braggadocio and aggrandizement, and are prone to puffery.
2. Some are freedom-of-speech fans empowered by rebel-rousing topics.
3. Some want to know what contemporaries are thinking.
4. Some are dumbfounded and jealous-ridden, working tediously to uncover the truth behind the author’s large blog-following.
5. Some enjoy the adrenaline rush that accompanies provocative, offensive, and/or highly debatable subject matter.
6. Some are clueless as to why they keep coming back.
7. Some are stalkers, the age of twelve, or recently retired.
8. Some are scared to stop.
9. Some read out of courtesy and guilt.
10. Some are trying to promote their own blogs through the utilization of like buttons and commentary boxes.
11. Some followed a link from a search engine or social network, and still aren’t sure where they are.
12. Some are wisdom-gatherers from the forest of over-achieving, obsession, or boredom.
13. Some are paid to read; it’s part of their job description.
14. Some hate their job.
15. Some believe the author could easily transition from an online friend to a real world friend.
16. Some believe the blogger will give them an autographed copy of a soon-to-be published book.
17. Some are attracted to affective exchange.
18. Some are members of government, educational, or psychology agencies partaking in information gathering.
19. Some are entertainment junkies.
20. Some are in the process of making purchasing decisions.
21. Some are tense-issue seekers.
22. Some have empathetic listening ears.
23. Some dare to know themselves through others.
24. Some are bloggers who want to know their audience.
25. Some are victims of the bandwagon effect.
26. Some find relevance.
27. Some were pulled in by the ‘about me’ page.
28. Some are waiting to find relevance.
29. Some make connections with interactive readers.
30. Some are delighted by the unordinary and unexpected.
31. Some know that crazy people make great bloggers.
32. Some read what they could never say.
33. Some are adding a good laugh to their day.
34. Some like photos.
35. Some are fascinated by all things foreign.
36. Some are stay-at-home moms (mums) avoiding dishes and diapers (nappies).
37. Some long for ‘real’ friends.
38. Some read solely for enjoyment.
39. Some are voyeuristic lurkers.
40. Some want to hear the little voice in their head squeal again: “Yes! I know exactly what you mean.”
41. Some consider blogs online diaries.
42. Some are huge fans of geeks.
43. Some applaud brutal honesty and the raw truth.
44. Some are glimpsing into the ordinary.
45. Some are nosey gossips.
46. Some think the author is a ‘lovely’ person.
47. Some people are curious about how others handle life.
48. Some are seeking direction.
49. Some want to get to know the writer.
50. Some appreciate fresh perspectives on ordinary facts and events.
51. Some love people who over-share.
52. Some abhor rubbish and repetition.
53. Some recognize talent.
54. Some need proof that normal and sane are nonexistent.
55. Some to know they are not alone.
Do I dare ask why you are reading?
© Everyday Aspergers, 2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. https://aspergersgirls.wordpress.com
This list brought to you from Sam Craft’s brain. Like this list? Here are more.